Author Topic: Equinox Magic Jan 16-26, 2020  (Read 76 times)

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
Equinox Magic Jan 16-26, 2020
« on: January 15, 2020, 09:55:07 PM »
Equinox Magic
Celebrity Equinox Jan 16-18, 2020
Carnival Magic Piano Barbarians 5  Jan 18-26, 2020

15 Jan 2020  Fort Lauderdale.  Wednesday.   We were up early, even got on the road earlier than I had hoped.  Got to JAX and discovered the daily covered garage was closed for construction.  I hadno intention of parking in the hourly lot for 12 days, so we parked in the surface lot and took the golf cart shuttle into the garage where we could walk to the terminal.  At least it will be a lot cheaper than the daily garage.  Our flight left on time and got in a few minutes early.  Weather very good.  And we parked at gate E1 instead of much fuether down, so the walk to luggage claim was very short.  We had gate checked our roll aboards so we only had our backpacks, and I could take out my purse and have money and docs handy. 
     We walked far to the left, to where the hotel shuttles picked up, and I called the hotel for the  pickup.  We are at Home2Suites this time, still part of the Hilton family.  Everything in FLL was pricey when I booked.  The transport guy said he would be white van #17.  A lot came before him.  There was one other couple for this hotel, with lots of luggage.  They are on Emerald Princess Friday.  That's a Panama Canal cruise to LA.  Still too much luggage.
     Our room is large.  It's a suite, but not two rooms.  There are two queen beds and a sleeper couch, and there is a curtain you can pull between the beds and the couch.  Not sure what that really accomplishes, because you still have to walk past the couch to get to the bathroom.   There is a kitchenette, with microwave, fridge, dishwasher.  A large desk area with pull out table, but only one chair.  Lots of counter space to lay out suitcases (I guess).  And the closet area is way over by the window. 
     We napped, then went for a long walk to find an acceptable place to eat.  Ended up at the Outback steakhouse.  Now we are back watching HGTV.  Breakfast ends at 9am tomorrow, we have reservation for port shuttle at 1115. 

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
Re: Equinox Magic Jan 16-26, 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 07:38:05 AM »
16 Jan 2020.  Port Everglades, Thursday?.  I am up early.  I see from the Port Everglades cam that there are a few ships in today.  We will be at terminal 25, the one built/rebuilt for Edge.  I am about to go down and scout out the free breakfast. 

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 07:38:05 AM »

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 12:41:53 AM »
Later.  The breakfast was no more extensive than our usual Hampton Inn.  We lounged around in the room until time to go down for the shuttle.  There were a lot of folks there, with lots of huge suitcases.  We were loaded into a 14 person van with 11 people headed for Independence of the Seas, and a Smooth Jazz cruise. 
We were at the terminal about noon, and lines were not bad.  ID inspected, through security, and basic checkin.  Those with Express Passes went through quickly.  After security, we had a lady look at out passports and take the picture from it, or take another it none worked.  Then it was straight onto the ship.  I did see a checkin desk, presumably for those who had not done online checkin.
     We went straight to our cabin and unpacked our backpacks.  Well, I did, but I don't think Mary has bothered.  We are in an inside cabin, 1144 on deck 10.  I am amazed how large it is.  Before on S class we always had a balcony.  We have an easy chair inside the door, as space that is usually a narrow path between wall and bath, but this is near double that width.  I believe closet space is smaller, but the safe is not in it.  There is a second easy chair in the inside corner.  And a small round table.  Six drawers at the desk and a chair.  And with the desk at the foot of the bed, but yet space to move around the bed, it is obvious this cabin is wider than the balcony cabins.  You could easily get a scooter into it if it would fit through the door - I need to measure...   I think one of the things that didn't get done in the revolution drydock was adding USB ports to the cabins  or extra outlets by the beds.  But maybe it wasn't planned...

We went up to the OV buffet and had a variety of salads for lunch.  Then came back to the cabin for a short relax before the muster drill.  I managed several short naps between the announcements.  OUr muster station was in the Retreat Lounge (for Suite guests).  There was limited seating and we were nearly the last to find any.  It is a very loud place when people get talking and they had to ask several times for people to be quiet.  It was finally over, and we sat for awhile until we thought the elevators would be clear, as we were not about to walk five floors up.  We rested again until about 6:15 when we decided to seek out dinner in the MDR.  For this short cruise, we are doing select, not fixed dining.
     We got to the MDR and asked for a share table.  They started on for us but it was awhile until the sent others to the table.  We had a hefty gentleman from Denver, and two ladies from FL who left their husbands at home.  Girls nights out.  Dinner was good.  I had read the menu on the Celebrity app, and it did not have the expected prime rib, but it was on the menu aftr all.  And it was delicious.  That and salad, and chocolate ice cream that was not half melted.  Mary had the pork chop because it came with sweet potatoes, and said both were very good.
    After dinner, we walked through deck 4and found the boutique with clothing, but nothing there to interest us.  We also notied that there was no longer and EFFY in the jewelry boutique.  On to the theater, where the show was All McCartney Live.  It was very good.  After the show, we wandered through the jewelry shop and then to the Gastro Bar and had cokes and watched some minor tennis.  Now, it is time for bed. 
     One thing we have noticed is that there are very few children on board.  Of course, school is just back in session in the US, although I think Monday is a holiday for MLK day.  I did see a pair of twin girls on the way to dinner.  And several other small boys, grade school or younger.  Not surprising, I guess.   

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 10:42:27 PM »
17 Jan 2020.  Friday.  Nassau.  I was up early  and had breakfast in the Aqua Spa Cafe.  Someone forgot to put the avocado on the avocado toast...  I went aft and watched Disney Magic come in, and elected to eat while Grand Classica and Elation arrived.  We had the parking spot furthest out.
     We went ashore around noo, making first stop at the Pandora store for local charm.  Then next door to EFFY where we collected more charms for Essie & Lizzie.   Then it was further down the street to the other EFFY store, where we got yet another charm.  Then to The Bearded Clam where we had cokes and tacos.  I bought a tshirt.  It rained.  It poured.  We waited until it had almost stopped.  Made one more stop, and Mary bought a ring and I got a bracelet.  We got rain sale prices.  Back on the ship, we napped and showered before supper.
     After supper we stopped in the photo gallery for the boarding photo (was that just yesterday?) and then to the theater where the show was Elysium.  Good guys and bad guys.  Acrobatics.  Okay.  Things are a little bit rocky.  When the weather changed in Nassau, a wind came up.  Before we left, the captain said that we had been using thrusters to keep up against the dock, and we would have two tugs on the starboard side leaving the pier so that we would not be blown into Disney Magic.  Once we got away from the pier and rotated pointing the right direction, they would put the pedal to the metal and put out the stabilizers, and make it back to Port Everglades on time.  Wind had to be from the North to be pushing us away from the pier. 
     Packing is done.  Time for sleep. 

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 11:37:55 PM »
18 Jan 2020  Port Everglades, Saturday. Weather was pretty rough last night.  At times the back and forth jerking reminded me of riding a train.     I was up before 0700.  Got dressed and got Mary up to go eat.  I had looked on AIS and could see four ships in, with us just finishng docking.  Nieuw Amsterdam was some way out.  We ate breakfast, and watched Nieuw Amsterdam limp into port with two tugs assisting.  She turned in the basin and they pushed her to the dock.  Can't remember when she goes back to Freeport to have the azipod replaced. 

We stayed in the cabin until about 0900, then went to deck 4 to wait until last call.  That ws about 0915, and we were off pretty quickly.    Immigration was facial recognition.  Mary passed, but I didn't so I had to see an offices, who looked at my passport and sent me on.  It was a bit of a hike to the taxi line, but we made it, and there was no wait.  Cost from terminal 25 to terminal 4 was $10.  He did not use the meter.  Then we had to walk near the length of the terminal and turn the corner to the right....and get in line.  There were two lines, one regular and one priority.  And a whole lot of people were walking through between the lines.  It was a very large wedding party.
     Soon  we were walking up to the terminal entrance.  Express pass checked, passport checked, and through security.  There was a separate line for birth certificates.  Then we went to checkin desk and had our passports scanned and pictures taken if necessary.  Then we were sent to the waiting area for priority passengers.  They started boarding the wedding party just before 1100 and we went shortly after. 
    Boarding was...strenuous.  they had a gently sloping gangway to deck 4 for mobility challenged folk, but the rest of us went to a steeply sloped gangway to deck 5.  Believe me, I was using the railing to pull myself along, and leaning on my suitcase and pushing it at the same time.  No glass of sparkling wine awaited at the end.  We went directly to our cabin, and collapsed for a nap.  At 1pm we went down where we thought Maribeth (the arranging TA) was handing out gear, but didn't see her.  We weren't looking in wuite the right place.  So we went to the Pig and Anchor and had lunch.  Baked beans, cole slaw, macaroni and cheese, and a chicken leg.  All good.  Then we went back inside and ask someone who obviously had their gear, and they pointed us in the right direction. 
     We came back to the cabin and unpacked, and tried to nap again, but the muster drill was coming up and the CD kept making announcements.  Our muster station was in the aft dining room, and we were directed around the side, and could not see any of the demonstrations, aas if we really needed them.  The wait for elevators was so bad after the drill that we walked the three decks up to ours. 
     Dinner was 1800, upper level of the aft MDR.  Somewhat disappointing, as we are at a table for 7, and noone else showed up.  Not unusual for the first night.  One older couple was directed to a table behind us, which I think was for 6 or 8.  She whined 'we don't want to eat with people we don't know'.  Guess she thought they would get a table for two.  they were sent downstairs to see the maitre 'd.  The food was very good. 
   We finished quickly, maybe a blessing being just two at the table.  Headed straight for the piano bar.  Every night that there is a piano bar persofmance, we have a private session from 7-9pm, then non-members are allowed in.  Well, this is certainly an animated group.  Most I think have done this before.  There are supposed to be four persormers, the regular guy and three others.  But one apparently had flight problems and is not aboard.  They still expect him.  The three we heard are very good.  A lot of interaction goes on.  The original piano man we had on Carnival Pride, who hooked us on the piano bar, is on board as a group member, not as a performer. 
     They took a break before 9pm, so we went exploring and found the shops.  Here, as on Equinox, EFFY jewelry has disappeared, and Le Vian has replaced it.  So we won't be dropping any money in the shops onboard.  Having determined that, we found our way to the Red Frog Pub and had our daily cokes...errr...Pepsi's.  Carnival Corp has switched from Coke products to Pepsi.  Boo, hiss...  but we will deal with it. 
     The seas have been wobbly since we left.  Hope it is not to rough to tender oops, water shuttle ashore at Half Moon Cay tomorrow. 
     WE have been away from Carnival for awhile...Celebrity, MSC, MSC again, Oceania, Princess, then a 2 day on Celebrity.  We sort of expected that last one to be a booze cruise, but it wasn't at all.  This one, though, looks to be heading that way.  Lots of kids onboard.  Lots of family groups and other groups.  Matching tshirts. 

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 07:51:16 AM »
19 Jan 2020.  Half Moon Cay, Sunday.  I was up early and had some breakfast.  Wandered around the ship.  It took them a long time to shuttle everyone ashore that wanted to go.  They had three local shuttles.  That's the new term...  no more tendering, you use water shuttles.  I came back to the cabin and had a naplet until Mary was ready to get up.  By that time you didn't need tickets, so we walked right down to the shuttle.  Unfortunately, it was all the way forward, and we are nearly all the way aft.  They were also shuttling midship.  It was a lovely day.  WE stopped in the shops, and Mary bought two magnets.  Of course, one is a lizard.  Then we walked to the barbeque and had salad, burgers, and watermelon.  Then we took a different route back to the shuttle platform, and went back to the ship. 
     We came back up to the ship and napped.  They are showing the NFL playoff games on the big screen, but we are not there.  Bet it's a big tailgate party up there!  I just showered, then went up to the buffet (which is closed) to fill me bottle with iced tea.  Now Mary is showering. 
     Tonight is elegant night.  It is also black and white night for the Bar-Barians, but unfortunately my dress is not black.  Prime rib tonight. 
     WE have a inside cabin starboard aft deck 6.    I think it must be above the aft lounge on deck 5 where they do the late night comedy show, and some music before that. 
Elegant night was interestingly observed by some.  There was a large group dressed from the Roaring Twenties.  Suspenders and hats for the men, short fringed dresses for the women.  Again, there were only two of us at our table.  Prime rib for me, spaghetti carbonara for Mary.
     After supper we went to the piano bar where things got raucous until it was time to go to the show.  88 Keys has been revised a time or two since we first saw in in 2017 on Pride.  Still entertaining.  Surprised the theater was not full.  Only about half.  After the show we came straight back to the cabin.  The entertainers joined the crew in the piano bar...we are almost over it, so could hear a bit - high vocals.  Grand Turk on Monday.

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 05:41:16 PM »
20 Jan 2020.  Monday, Grand Turk.  We were a few minutes early.  Zuiderdam had been here for hours...  I got up and went to the shore excursion talks, no shopping talk.  Hmmm.  Came back to the cabin - Mary was still in bed so I snoozed for awhile.  About 1230 we went up for brunch at the buffet.  I mostly had salad.  Mary had Shepherd's pie with mashed sweet potatoes.  Below that layer was lentile.  I thought shepherds pie was a Brit thing - where do the sweet potatoes and lentils come in?  Then it was time to go ashore. 
    We browsed all of the shops and Mary bought a pair of earrings for $5.  She packed a lot of putple and forgot to pack any purple earrings...Nor a shawl.  Just plaid flannel shirts.  They usually have those $10 fake pashminas onboard, but not to be found on Equinox or Magic.  But - we did find them in the duty free shop here.  I bought two, and she bought one.  Not the greatest color choice, but sufficed. 
    We did the jewelry stores, too, and unfortunately they made me a good deal on a ring in EFFY.  More than I should have spent, but what the heck it's just money.  Got the bad news that there is a new EFFY shop in Curacao.  One more place to spend money...  There was one there in 2010, my first time there, but by the next time I visited, it was gone.  I also got a deal on a watchband for my Philip Stein mini in Milano.  Then it was back to the ship.  A nice sunny day, but not too hot in the shade, and a breeze.  No show for us tonight.  Probably spend a long time in the piano bar. 
21 Jan 2020.  Tuesday, at Sea.  WE had a good supper, no companions.  Then it was down to the piano bar where things were rocking.  The missing fourth was there, very tired but in good form.  It was  mis-matched tourist night, and there were some interesting outfits.  We left before 9pm when the regular guy was to take over and the public let in.  Nothing against him, but we were tired.  I went to bed too early to finish this but was up in the middle of the night for a couple of hours.  Whatever was going on downstairs ended at 0145.  Although the seas look calm, we have been doing a bit of rolling and I have been wearing my sea bands.  So far, I have not spent a cent on the ship.  Off the ship, however...
    I went to the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet this morning.  I never got an invite, noteven sure I registered for it, but it was listed in the Fun Times.  I guess there were 40+ people signed up - six of us showed.  They had coffee, tea, juice, pastries and cookies.  Not feeling great, I had a little OJ and a chocolate chip cookie.  They do chocolate chip pretty well.  The hotel director and one of the entertainment staff came and chatted.  We stayed and chatted until it was time to head for the atrium and our Piano Bar-Barians group picture.  I guess most of us showed up.  We were in the front row, just behind the musical participants in chairs.  After that, we went to the lanai and sat waiting for the Pig & Anchor to open.  I went inside and found a salad and sandwich bar so had a tuna salad sandwich.  Mary got tomato soup, and then got stuff from Pig & Anchor when the lines got reasonable.  They have baked beans, greens, mac & cheese, cole slaw,  barbecue pork and chicken, potato salad.  It's pretty good.
     We came back to the cabin and napped - we seem to do that a lot.  Now we have been up to the buffet to refill our bottles with iced tea, and have soft serve ice cream.  The menu for tonight has too many good things on it.  After dinner we will hit the piano bar until time to go to the show. 

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 05:50:54 PM »
22 Jan 2020.  Curacao, Wednesday.  The crowd was rowdy as usual, until time to set up for puclic hours.  That was the time to head for the theater for the show.  Still not very full, unless seats downstairs were fuller.  Seats to the side downstairs are empty.  The show was Country Road, kind of corny - but aren't most of them...  I don't know how they find so many songs I have never heard, and I can't understand half of the words.  We came back to the cabin to bed.  Not quite as early as last night.  But we were awake at 0200.  But things were no longer going on below us.
     I went down to the Promenade deck and outside to see us dock.    Summit was already here, and had the front parking space.  That's a loong walk to the Rif Fort.  It was interesting seeing the pilot bot come in under the bow and get the mooring lines, then take them to the dock/bits.  I went up to the buffet and had a light breakfast, then back to the cabin.  Mary was still snoozing, so I tried to also.  But the crew was having an 'abandon ship' drill, which was broadcast periodically into our cabin.  Apparently they picked up some new crew in FLL so have to do this.  Passengers with nothing else to do were welcome to participate.  Shortly before noon, we went up to the buffet to feed Mary.  And I had some red jello.  Usually they have only orange and green, which reminds her too much or colonoscopies...
   We went ashore, dreading the long walk, but there were golf cart type shuttles running beteen our pier and where the Summit pier joined.  One was full and just leaving, but an empty one met us and turned around.  Like the pedal cabs at Cozumel, it is tips only.  WE still had a little walk to the Rif Fort, and we walked straight through, and to the floating bridge.  As we were nearing the far side, I heard the alarm ring to signal it would be opening.  It rang again when we were about a dozen feet from the divide, and could see it starting to slide open.  I yelled to Mary to hurry, and we made it easily. 
     We walked down the main street, and could see the new EFFY store on a corner ahead.  We headed in, and guess what...No a/c.  They were very anxious to sell us something, but all we got was the free charm - I think I have seven turtles now - and one of the enhanced ones.  I bought the flower that I had not seen before.  I suspect I will wear it a lot.  WE left there and sat on a bench in the shade, with a breeze for awhile, then went into Milano.  Didn't buy anything.  WEnt on down the street and eventually ended up at a tavle under the canopies near a free internet place.  We had cokes, which we really didn't need as EFFY had given up water, I we both had iced tea along.  Sat there long enough to transfer all my pictures into Shutterfly, check email, visit a few websites I can't get to on Magic wifi.  I bought the value package, which is usually sufficient but this trip it goes in and out.  It cuts me out of Cruise Critic a lot, and sometimes give me a lot of trouble with Tapatalk.  I knew I couldn't get Shutterfly but I can bring up the app, but still can't transfer pics. 
     WE wandered all the alleyways and I got some more pictures of reliefs on the side of buildings.  Stopped in a Pandora store and got another Curacao charm.  Then it was time to head back to the ship.  No bridge movement this time.  We stopped in the Delft shop in the Rif Fort and bought a couple of charms for the bracelets, then headed for the long walk.  Got to the Summit pier, and there was a cart waiting, so we hopped on.  Back in the cabin, it was time to shower and sort another bag of laundry. 
     We are lat here in Curacao, 2300, but it is a short jaunt to Aruba tomorrow, our last port.  There was not supposed to be any piano bar tonight, but they got permission to go from 1900-2100.  We will have to tip the bar staff well, as they might have been off... No show tonight, something with a juggler comedian. 

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 05:16:13 PM »
23 Jan 2020.  Thursday, Aruba.  Last night they didn't start at the piano bar until 2100, and it was open to all.  It is still a rowdy bunch.  They tried not to get dirty until after 2230 (when minors are not supposed to be there).   The crowd thinned a bit to go to Quest in the lounge next door, but picked up again.  A group of senior officers passed through once - I think one was the captain.
  I woke this morning to see Aruba in the distance.  We keep the TV on all the time, on the bridge cam.  It's like having a window.  I got my phone and pulled up Marine Traffic, as saw that Disney Wonder and Crown Princess were already there.  But it looked like they left the best parking spot for us.  With the least walking distance into town.  I had never seen a passenger ship docked forther back at the cargo dock, no terminal there.  But we did see later that they had shuttle buses for their guests, bringing them to the walkway in front of our ship.  And the terminal shops there. 
     I went down to the MDR for breakfast and had a single egg Benedict and hash browns and juice.  Walked around and was on deck when we were docking.  Then I came back to the cabin and dozed until Mary got up to go eat.
     This was to be an early departure port, 4pm, so we got our butts out a bit earlier than usual to walk into town.  We hit the usual shops, and had cokes at  place on the harbor.  No wifi, but a nice breeze.  Then we went shopping some more, and I caved and bought more jewelry.  Bad, bad me.  I also got another charm for my Pandora bracelet, one for Aruba.  WE came back to the terminal and browsed the shops there, but not about to pay the prices asked for what we liked.  Back on the ship,  I tried to doze, but as soon as I dropped off the infernal CD was on the tannoy saying we were about to leave, etc.  What was the point?  No stragglers today. 
     Tuesday night the organizer, Maribeth, came around asking if we would be interested in a Piano Bar-Barians 5.5 in Sept., from NOLA.  We said we might be.  This is an annual thing, in Jan., and Piano Bar-Barians 6 is already scheduled to the Legend from Tampa.  I don't think I have paid attention to where #7 is sailing from.  Last night she appeared late, and was handing out cards about the group to non-members who were in the venue.  Among the strangers was the first African American I had seen.  There doesn't seem to be any in the group present.  And the mean age seems to be 40+.  I don't think we are quite the oldest...
     There is a show tonight, Flick.  I suspect it is movie based. 

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:24:38 AM »

Definitely movie based.  Weird sometimes.  Dinner was good, and we spent the time in the piano bar until time to go to the theater.  It was costume night.  Two nights ago it was pirate/beach party.  Lots of people brings outfits, etc.  Mary brought a cape and small mask, but I didn't bother.  Sea days the next two. 

24 Jan 2020.  At Sea, Friday.   Lovely sea day.  We could see Crown Princess ahead in the distance all day.  I had breakfast in the buffet, then walked around awhile, found a place to sit and do a little knitting.  I stopped at one of the computer stations to see if internet reception there was any better than I get in the cabin, but perhaps if I had sprung for the premium package...  I looked up the pricing for both Piano Barbarian cruises: the one next Jan, and the proposed on in Sept.  They were actually about the same.  Mary thinks we should do only one...
     I got back to the cabin just a few minutes before Mary.  It was time for a nap.  After the nap, it was time to change Essie for Elegant night.  We have been taking them with us since the fourth night, when we decided noone was ever going to show up for our table.  People notice and comment on them.  They were photoed in the Piano bar tonight by Maribeth, so they may appear on FB. 
     WE went to supper, then found seats on deck four around the atrium and listened to the string trio until the finished their set and 80's music trivia started.  Very raucous carrying ons with that.  I knew one song.  WE left when it was time to line up for seats in the theater for America Rocks.  Another high energy show, lots of songs I didn't know... I won't need to see it again.  There was no privte piano bar session tonight because they were in Cucina del Capitano celebrating the birthday of one of the organizers.  We went by after the show and the place was rocking.  We stayed until about 1130pm when the CD was working on a rap song.  We can hear them through the floor, particularly in the bathroom...  Last sea day tomorrow.

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:24:38 AM »