Author Topic: Interesting question on lost luggage.  (Read 4204 times)

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
  • Life is Good when cruising in the Caribbean
    • Seacruise - Panama Canal Cam and Schedule
Interesting question on lost luggage.
« on: August 17, 2007, 12:13:42 PM »
John Heald writes a Blog from Carnival Freedom.

He poses a interesting question.
Why is up to the cruise line to find lost luggage that the airline you were on lost en route to the cruise?

He further asks, if you are going on a land holiday and the airline loses your luggage do you ask the hotel to look for it?

Why should the cruise line give you compensation on behalf of the airline for something they had no control over? Do hotels give you compensation?

I understand where one drops luggage at the airport for the cruise line to get it to the ship, the ship then pays you but he brings up a good point.

Phil

NJVIC

Re: Interesting question on lost luggage.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 01:01:05 PM »
I gather his question pertains to airfare booked through the cruiseline since they will not be responsible for anything when you book your own airfare. I would think it would be a provision of the contract between the cruiseline and airline - just as it is the airlines responsibility when they cancel a flight, any cruise passengers will be put on the next available flight out ahead of other non-cruise airline passengers.

I would think that the airline would have to locate the luggage for the cruise line. If the ship has sailed the cruise line can then make arrangements to have your luggage sent to the next port of call.

Or - I can be completely wrong about all this and it's one of those 'which came fist the chicken or the egg' questions.

Vic.

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 01:01:05 PM »

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
  • Life is Good when cruising in the Caribbean
    • Seacruise - Panama Canal Cam and Schedule
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 01:13:16 PM »
Maybe I should have posted what John asked to make it clear.

Here it is:

At the end of the cruise I have to report that we started of with a total of 70 pieces of missing luggage and as of today, 21 bags are still missing. I have spoken personally to many of the poor people who still do not have their luggage and most seem to be facing this with a smile and a positive attitude. Some people are mad at us and have been very aggressive to our purser’s team. I have a question — if you lose your luggage on your way to Las Vegas would you expect the hotel you are staying in to find it for you? This is not a sarcastic question, it’s just a question I do not know the answer to and wondered if you could let me know the answer. I lost a bag when I was flying from London to Miami. I was staying at the Marriott but I never thought to have them help me. They had not booked my flight so I did all the follow up with the airline myself ……………….did I do the wrong thing? The reason I am asking is based on this comment here. I am showing you this because I am not sure if she is right or wrong…………..you tell me.

[15/8/2007 11:53:26 AM JIHC]
Mrs. _______ came to the Purser’s desk asking about their luggage lost by Delta not by Alitalia. Guest was very loud saying that it was Carnival’s responsibility to have found this luggage at that now the cruise was over she expected Carnival to pay her for the inconvenience. Purser explained that they had been calling and asking the airline everyday for information on the luggage but Delta were still not able to find it. Guest demanded to see the Cruise Director. Purser explained that he was not responsible for lost luggage but she would not leave the desk until John had spoken to her. Purser called the CD who came down and spoke to the guest in the lobby. Report from CD to follow….AM JIHC.

NJVIC

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 02:26:22 PM »
Okay - I guess I was in a different train of thought - personally - if the airline lost my luggage, to me it is the airlines responsibility to get it to me - though once on the cruise my only contact would be through the cruise line.

I did have a situation where we lost our luggage travelling to San Francisco once (not Vegas) and the hotel had a concierge service and they took our baggage claim checks and handeled it with the airlines and obtained it for us.

But I think there is the difference - when staying at a hotel you are in one place for a period of time and it may be easier for you to contact a carrier and/or the carrier to have your luggage (if and when they find it) catch up to you - whereas on a cruise, your location is constantly moving - so even though the cruise line doesn't take responsibility or feel it is their problem - they are the only ones to answer to the passengers.

I did some checking into cruise contracts and even if the cruis line handled booking your air they consider them a seperate entity and the cruise line does not take responsibility - even while on the ship - if they lose your luggage or damage it - if you did not take their insurances they will only cover up to $300.

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 04:11:18 AM »
Will you be arriving on a Saturday...When you might be able to replace your clothing for a reasonable price at boot sales (garage sales on this side of the pond...)?CJ

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 04:11:18 AM »