Author Topic: Westerdam 1 day cruise - Sept 28 2013  (Read 1546 times)

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
  • Life is Good when cruising in the Caribbean
    • Seacruise - Panama Canal Cam and Schedule
Westerdam 1 day cruise - Sept 28 2013
« on: October 06, 2013, 04:21:44 PM »
Yes I did a over night cruise on September 28th 2013 from Seattle to Vancouver.

The PSA is the cause of such cruises and they are normally sold for $60 pp.

I booked less than 7 days out and booked a Signature Suite 6076.

I figured this was as close as I would ever get to one so lets have a look.

While the suite is a nice size this category of suite doesn't off pre-boarding.

The first thing we did when we boarded was head to the dinning room for the Mariner Lunch. The lunch offered several choices and was well presented but just warm to eat.

The est thing we did so far. After heading upstairs after lunch to the Lido the lines was long and I mean long. It was my understanding that not everyone got to eat due to lifeboat drill.

The suite itself showed signs of wear and the Cabin Steward showed that he doesn't believe in getting things cleaned or fixed. By this I mean the toilet seat is falling off and not before long it will be on the floor. Lift the toilet seat and the smell of sewage was incredible.
So lets see the Steward cleans the toilet twice a day and he doesn't notice the seat is almost falling off and the smell of sewage? It isn't like he is fixing this he just makes a call to have that done.

The black marks up and down the walls showed he doesn't believe in trying to clean these off.
So the question is, is this a result of a poor cabin steward or Holland America letting things slip as a result of lower fares and thus cutting corners.  Who knows?

I say this because I had several friends who cruised HAL to Alaska this past summer and didn't have a good thing to say about the cruise they were on.

We ate dinner in the Pinnacle and I must say this was up to the standard of HAL I have seen before and tasted. The only problem that cropped up was we just received out tea and shortly right after were asked to leave because our table was needed. It wasn't our fault that the kitchen was slow in serving food. So I guess we won't leave anything extra for the waiter because we were asked to leave.

Overall I would say there are many things that I see with HAL that I didn't see when I last sailed with them in 2009. For a 1 day cruise it was great and it marked 30 years since my first cruise with HAL. IF I were to compare this with my Celebrity Silhouette cruise the later one wins hands down.

Here are some photos of the cabin.

Phil

Westerdam Suite 6076

Manuela

• Staff Captain
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Westerdam 1 day cruise - Sept 28 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 06:26:12 PM »
It seems that a lot of cruise lines are on the decline these days ::)
Nov. 24, 2021 - Discovery Princess - Transatlantic