Author Topic: CJ & Mary go North to Alaska, 17 July 2013  (Read 6163 times)

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
Re: CJ & Mary go North to Alaska, 17 July 2013
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 01:36:58 AM »
30 July 2013  At Sea.    Ugh.  the last day.  At least it's a sea day and we aren't rushing to pack.  That's done.  The weather is fine, although a little cool to sit out in the sun with a breeze.  I was up early, as usual, went to breakfast, sat around until my Kindle demanded to be fed.  I was also tired of listening to a complainer about 15 feet away.  didn't get the beginning of his talk with his wife, but I think they were discussing tipping, and he was probably removing tips because mostly he didn't like the food.  But he did like the room service.  Go figure.  Bet he didn't tip for room service when it was delivered. 
I came back to the room and took the laundry out...Mary was still in bed.  We did lose an hour last night, but it was nearly 10am.  When I finished it, nearly two hours later, she was still not dressed, because she wanted to wear the capris I had in the laundry.  She had packed the rest in the bottom of the suitcase. 
So we went to lunch, at 1145.  I was still full from breakfast, and had a salad.  Then we sat in the corridor across from Wheelhouse Bar and read, before coming back to finish up the packing. 
Last Pop Choir rehearsal was at 4pm, and we had to finish in time to go to the Pop Star finals (karaoke).
One of our choir members was singing, Eva, who is 80 and in a wheelchair.  She has post-polio syndrome.  She did a Patsy Kline tune, but the one we voted for and won also did a Patsy Kline number, and was a bit better.  Then we went to the Platinum snacks session, and then back to the cabin for Mary to shower and dress for the Pop choir concert.
 When we came upstairs to the Bayou Cafe for rehearsal, we noticed that we were in a fog.  It was very bright outside, but you couldn't see anything.  Later, you could see there was blue sky above the fog. 
I think the concert (of three numbers) went over even better this week.  We went to supper after, there was about a 20 minute wait for our dining room, so we went up to the buffet.  Menu was not very exciting.  After dinner we sat outside the Wheelhouse Bar for a time, and then I went inside looking for a warmer spot.  I soon left and walked back to see what was left in the jewelry boutique, and noticed a wedding going on in the atrium.  Looked like it was not a first marriage, and the captain was not the officiant. 
I went to the crew talent show, and was a bit disappointed that more of the crew were not involved, most of the 'talent' was members of the entertainment staff.
Now we are back in the cabin, suitcases out, most things packed.  And of course, we have to be up early.  Our transfers do not meet until 9:10, but they want you out of the cabins by 0800.  I think we will be a little later.  I will be racing about taking cabin pics, and best time is about 0830.

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 12:32:18 AM »
31 Jul 13  Seattle Airport.    Neither of us slept very well last night.  I got up in the middle of the night and Mary was reading on her Kindle.  My alarm went off at 7am and I got up and dressed.  We quickly finished the packing and went up to breakfast.  We went back to the cabin and Mary took her bags up to the Platinum/Elite lounge in the Wheelhouse Bar, while I ran around for half an hour taking cabin pictures.  There are almost no pictures of Coral Princess inside and OV cabins, so I collected few.  But I was too late to get the ones on our corridor with the uppers down.  The stewards rush in and put those up before they start on the rest of the cabin.
Debarkation was smooth, but a bit late.  Our luggage was loaded straight onto our bus.  there were 29 of us on the second bus, which was good as we needed  all those empty seats for our carryon bags.  As soon as our bags were loaded, we were allowed onto the bus.  It too about 1-1/2 hours to get to the border, sue to traffic, and 20 minutes to go through Border Patrol.  Then we were speeding on our way, except for a slowdown for miles as we funneled into one lane so they could work on a bridge.  That cost us 45 minutes.  I was sweating it for Mary, as we didn't pull up to the terminal until 2:30p, and her flight is at 4p.  We found the elevator up to the check in areas, and walked Mary down to United.  Neither of us were able to do the kiosk checkin.  I hung around to make sure she got checked in, and off to security and to get something to eat.  I headed for Alaska Airlines, as though my flight is coded for American, it is flown by Alaska and the paper said to check in with them.  I had to get a clerk to do it, because it was still 8 hours until flight time.  and they can't take my checked bag until 4 hours out, so I am limited to venues outside the gate areas.  I found a wine bar and got a turkey wrap.  And there is free wifi in the terminal. 
Later.  I sat and crocheted, read, etc. until time to check my bag.  Then  went through security and into the land of many shops and restaurants.  I wandered a bit, and finally found a salad I could live with. 
Then I had to pick all the sunflower seeds out of it before I could eat it.  Then I made the long trek to my (changed) gate.  The man at the desk was very nice, and confirmed I was in the right place, as the flight number was different, being on Alaska and not American.  When I checked my bag, I asked about a different seat, as I suspected the seat they assigned me was a middle seat.  I didn't even have to ask...he said was I traveling alone?  And let's get me changed from the middle seat.  I jokingly asked if there were any free upgrades to first class, and he said unfortunately no.  There were a couple of men in the Platinum reception last night talking about getting a $150 upgrade to first chass if you check in online in the first hour.  But they were all gone for their non-stop from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale.   So the man was in the computer, and said well, there were upgrades for $100.  I said I'd take it, and he assigned me a window seat.  And when I was pushing my credit card toward him, he sort of grinned, and said he wasn't going to charge me!  Wahoo!  So now, I have another hour to wait to board.

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 10:18:15 PM »
1 Aug 2013.  Home again.  Well, I won't pay for an upgrade unless it is to get out of a middle seat.  First class seats on domestic flights are wider than economy, and you get real glasses and extra food, but that's about it.  they are leather, but you don't really get much more legroom, there is an armrest that is big and square and substitutes for a place to set your drink if you don't want to get out your table, but the armrest makes it very difficult to get out of the seat to go to the restroom, especially if the person in front has their seat reclined.  Now I know why the fellow next to me didn't want to trade his aisle seat for my window. 
I had a very short connection in Dallas, and an aisle seat in economy, and that gave me the same legroom as the first class seat.  I think I must have had almost the only empty seat in the plane next to me.  A middle seat. 
It was much warmer in Dallas than Vancouver.  Not so bad in JAX, although the temp crept up to 90 as I drove home.  but nearer to Hinesville, it was 83.  They had had some showers.  Having not slept in 30 hours, I was ready for a nap, but did not really rest well.  Maybe I can make it up tonight.