Author Topic: Mixed Meanderings, CJ & Mary, Essie & Lizzie, 11 Apr-3 Jun 2013  (Read 12430 times)

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
Re: Mixed Meanderings, CJ & Mary, Essie & Lizzie, 11 Apr-3 Jun 2013
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2013, 03:47:41 PM »
2 June 2013  Napoli
Well, we did just what we said we would do.  Not an early morning, and about 10:30 we were off the ship and into the terminal.  Lots of shops there, and we did find some little things to spend our money on.  Costa was boarding passengers on Favolosa, Carnival Legend was in.  And poor lonely MSC Melody is laid up awaiting a new owner.  She does have someone on board, though.  we did see some smoke. 
We came back to the ship and had lunch, sat out on the back and watched the ferries go in and out.  Lots and lots of ferries.  Favolosa left early again, 1400 hrs.  Weather has been lovely again, if a little cool in the breeze. 
We came back to the cabin and started packing, then both of us showered.  I am all packed except for what I am wearing tonight, and my nightgown.  And the computer, clock, toothbrush...Mary is out on the balcony drying her underware and the shirt she has been wearing and intends to wear tomorrow...
We look forward to the musical farewell tonight.  We enjoyed the show last night, but all the acrobatics and atonal music is not really our thing.  The female aerialist must have been a gymnist...She can not only do a split but practically do an inverted V.  It hurts to watch...I hope she has good health insurance to cover the future hip replacements...
We said our farewells at dinner.  My disappointment - this time the day six menu did not have the Italian cheesecake on it.  A smaller portion then the New York cheesecake, but much better taste.
I loaded my boarding passes onto my flash drive and went to the iLounge, where they printed them out.  We may be in trouble with the weight of our carry-ons.  the Aer Lingus website says they are very strict with the 10 kilos.  I think my backpack weighs more than that. 
Last minute shopping - bought two ship tshirts.  The show was good, except for the opening act.  I can take just so much of a guy on a unicycle.  And I got more than I needed in the show last night.  Phillip Browne was very good.  And the CD sang two numbers.  After her Dad dies, she quit her job as a VP with Toshiba (20 years) and spent four years on Broadway in Mamma Mia. 
Bags packed, out in the hall, and I hear them leaving now. 

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 05:37:32 AM »
4 June 2013  Home at last
It's 6am, but my body is still on Italian time, so it's really noon.  And we didn't go to bed until 5am 9Italian time).  What an endless day.
We were up at 5:30am.  Nice day.  Scant breakfast - I just can't eat at that hour...Went down to the theater and managed to find our transfer partners.  Were off the ship shortly after 7am.  Found our luggage and went outside to look for our ride.  He was there about 7:30 and we dragged our luggage to the Mercedes van.  It filled the luggage area.  We piled in, three in the very back, three in the middle.  there was seating for two up front, but he wouldn't allow us to sit there.  Turns out he had booked two more for the van, but couldn't find them, so his son would get them..Beats me how you can book a van for six at a fixed price, and then add two more...
I guess it took about an hour to get to FCO, and it was an Italian ride.  Fast, driving on the center line, etc.  He dropped us off at terminal 3, and after a couple of tries, we found where Aer Lingus would be checking in.  There were a couple of your fellows waiting, but we were next.  However, it was a long time before anyone showed up to open,  but finally we were there.  WE went to the bag drop line, and Mary decided to check both of her bags, so the clerk said she had to go pay for the second, she would keep her passport and boarding pass, and she could have them when she brought the receipt back.  Then the clerk got a call...My friend needed me at the counter.  It turns out they needed her or my passport.  Duhhh...The 50 euros paid, we went back and got har stuff, then went for security.  that went fast, didn't have to take off the shoes...And then through immigration. 
Then it was time to head for the gate.  It was a very long walk, and when we finally got to the H gates, the first stop was VAT refund.  I had bought a necklace in Taormina, the only thing the whole trip that offered me the refund.  I actually chose not to pay the tax, but I had to have the slip stamped and mailed by the 22nd or they would charge the tax to my credit card.  So, a stamp from the Dogana, then hand it in to the company handling it.
Then the rest of the long walk.  Down the escalator.  Maneouver our way to the gate - where we would be bused to the plane when the time came.  Lots of people waiting for the alitalia flight before ours at our gate.  there were delays...The people who clean the planes between flights is on strike...Finally, they board that flight, then announce that our flight would leave from a different gate.  We finally boarded shortly after 11:30.  By this time, we had been on our feet for probably three hours.  We get to the plane...They are boarding via stairs from front and back.  So I have to haul my bag up the stairs, and Mary has to climb wearing her heavy backpack.  I was wearing a backpack, too, but not as large as hers. 
The flight was uneventful, we bought sandwiches and sodas.  They announced for people connecting to New York to meet the rep. at the top of the gangway.  she knew us by name and handed us our boarding passes, and took us to the gate, which wasn't far.  But then we had to wait.  Again.  The flight left 45 minutes late, and was late into JFK.  Strong headwinds all the way.  Served drinks, supper, and a scone shortly before landing.  The plane ws nearly full, and cramped.  and cold.  WE have agreed we are not flying out on FCO again.  Into, maybe, but not out.  And Mary prefers a four day train ride for a 7 day cruise, to a long flight.
Her daughter Liz met us at JFK, and we were home around 9:30.  Erin wasw still up, and we chatted and did some show and tell, had a glass of wine, but retired when I said my eyes were crossing...
On to the planning of the next adventure!

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 05:37:32 AM »

Manuela

• Staff Captain
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 07:51:59 AM »
This was quite an adventure. Thanks for taking us along. Looking forward to the next one.
April 5, 2020 - Grand Princess - Hawaii
Nov. 5, 2020 - Enchanted Princess - Transatlantic
April 9, 2021 - Regal Princess - Sydney - Alaska
Nov. 24, 2021 - Discovery Princess - Transatlantic

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2013, 05:09:54 PM »
It's not far away, Manuela!  CJ

Manuela

• Staff Captain
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 10:07:52 PM »
It looks like you are becoming one of those people who live on ships and visit home occasionally  ;D
April 5, 2020 - Grand Princess - Hawaii
Nov. 5, 2020 - Enchanted Princess - Transatlantic
April 9, 2021 - Regal Princess - Sydney - Alaska
Nov. 24, 2021 - Discovery Princess - Transatlantic

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 10:07:52 PM »