Author Topic: Panama Canal resumes operations after being closed for 24 hours  (Read 4600 times)

Luis

• Galley Cook
I have noticed that there are any ships going thru any of the three gates for the past couple of hours from the time this post was made.Is there something wrong going on caused by the constant rains that have been falling there in recent days? Those ships have been in the same position for two hours at Miraflores.

Note=I edited title to reflect the news that Phil brought and is posted below.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:37:23 AM by Luis »

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
  • Life is Good when cruising in the Caribbean
    • Seacruise - Panama Canal Cam and Schedule
Re: Is the Panama Canal paralized? (12/8/10)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 02:03:38 PM »
Luis:

Never seen this before. I have also gone back and checked the other cams and nothing in site for Gatun or Pedro Miguel Locks either.

I have sent a email off to Linda to ask her if she has heard from her friend there.

AS you can see from the photo I have posted the time has changed but nothing is moving as you say.

Phil

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 02:03:38 PM »

Luis

• Galley Cook
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 02:14:51 PM »
Thanks Phil. Try to find out what is going on because if this standstill continues,the backup would be inmense and may affect the Norwegian Star transit tommorow.

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 02:16:07 PM »
Here is what I found.

Phil

Closed transit of ships through the Panama Canal

The Panama Canal Authority has suspended boat traffic on the waterway due to heavy rains that are falling on the area.

The ACP report was released to TVN News a few minutes and is based on the weather of the area unlimited visibility make it difficult for sailing ships crossing the canal.

For more than 50 hours of Panama City and Colón Area rainfall is due to low atmospheric pressure in the region that affect Costa Rica, Colombia and Venezuela.

Luis

• Galley Cook
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »
Wow Phil. That news doesn't say when they will reopen it. :( Now that the news is out,I will change the title of thread from, Is the Panama Canal Paralized?) to Panama Canal is shutdown on 12/8/10.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:39:54 PM by Luis »

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Panama Canal has been shut down on 12/8/10
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 02:48:52 PM »
Sure go ahead......

Phil

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 03:20:10 PM »
Here is the Satellite of the area.

Not looking good,

Phil

Cape Cod 13

• Vice Admiral
  • Cape Cod 13
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 03:29:36 PM »
I took my picture right before I left the house and thought it looked funny with the other two ships not moving. Didn't have time to look into then. Working on more news now but haven't heard anything back yet.  Linda C.C.13

Luis

• Galley Cook
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 07:21:43 PM »
Does anyone knows when was the last time the canal was closed? I googled the canal and the backup of ships on both sides is inmense.

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 07:58:46 PM »
Can't say I have seen it closed like this before. I have been posting the schedule for over 10 years now and never seen this.

Phil

Luis

• Galley Cook
Re: Panama Canal has been closed
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 08:29:06 PM »
I found news about this at BBC. The question about when was the last time the canal was closed is answered there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11953800

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Panama Canal has been closed due to weather
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »
From what I have read tonight there they are going to decide till tomorrow at some point. The road to Colon is flooded still and no road traffic going into or out of the port.

Looking at the satellite view there are currently nothing located over the Canal but another storm just off shore.

The Gatun River has flooded her banks and flooded the local area.

Norwegian Star looks like she may be delayed.

Phil

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 12:58:27 AM »
They have even turned out the lights on the Gatun Locks.

Phil

Cape Cod 13

• Vice Admiral
  • Cape Cod 13
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 05:30:48 AM »
Continuing rain causes deaths, evacuations and closing of Canal .
Wednesday, 08 December 2010 20:51    .

.On the eve of Panama’s peak tourist season when the sun is supposed to shine, there are rain fed chaotic conditions in many areas including the temporary closing of the Panama Canal

After the wettest year on record, December has seen the isthmus suffering under heavy downpours for days on end.

Two eleven year old children and an adult are missing, thousands have been evacuated from their flooded homes, roadworks have been damaged and crops destroyed and a road to the Centennial Bridge has collapsed.
Rain will continue until March according to weather forecasters
Falling trees in many areas of Panama City coupled with the large number of Mothers Day shoppers caused major traffic jams on Tuesday (December 7)
The Panama Canal Authority (ACP) announced on Wednesday that, for the first time in its 96 year history, transit of ships has been "temporarily suspended"  because the Alajuela and Gatun lakes have reached the highest levels ever recorded.

ACP Executive Vice President of Operations, Manuel Benitez, said the move was taken because transit through the Canal could be affected by the currents of the Chagres River, which flows into the channel on the way to Gamboa.

In the interior over 6,000 people, and 50,000 hectares of crops have been affected and domestic animals lost in 33 flooded communities.

Ronald Czech, provincial director of  The country's civil rescue authority (Sinaproc), said the Kuna communities Wala, Nurra and Morti-among the poorest in the region, have lost all the coffee and banana production to the floodwaters of the river Chucunaque and the Pan American Highway was damaged after the rise of the river Zapallal.

The national emergency authority (Sinaproc) has been stretched, working around the clock in many locations. It issued a red alert on Wednesday and 5000 people from 18 communities in the Pacora region, east of Panama City, were evacuated.
Fifty more were evacuated from Guayabalito Santa Rosa, at the bottom of the Madden Dam.
The evacuees are being housed in a gym and in Chepo schools.

The communities surrounding the Chagres River and the New Watcher, Salamanca and Boqueron, on top of the dam, have all been put on evacuation alert.
Earlier in Pacora in the eastern sector of the province of Panama, sluice gates on the Bayano dam were opened and 435 people were evacuated from the community of El Llano .
The evacuation was carried out by Sinaproc.A red alert had been issued by AES Panama, which operates the Bayano dam in Chepo and opened flood gates to reduce the dangerously high water level in the reservoir. A helicopter flew to the community to arn residents,
As waters swept down rivers crops, were carried away and, three people were reported missing. Sinaproc Director Arturo Alvarado said the disappearances occurred in the mouth of the Cañazas river .
In Chepo, houses were flooded and livestock and plantations of cassava, pepper, cucumber, corn, and other products were swept away
Even though the AES Panama has conducted simulations of dumping, including participation of communities surrounding the river, Alvarado said that the emergency plan for power generation "has substantial flaws in the operating plan for emergencies."
In Chorrera, Panama families have been forced from their homes and a bridge on the the Panamerican Highway, is in danger because of flooding from a tributary of the Caimito river.
In Colon problems have been reported up and down the coast including a landslide that buried a 23 year old man, who was rescued by Sinaproc and is recovering in a medical center.  C.C.13

Cape Cod 13

• Vice Admiral
  • Cape Cod 13
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 06:13:59 AM »
Looks like they are starting to move some of the ships out at the Gatun Locks. I took this at 5:30 and she is out of site now.  C.C.13

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 06:13:59 AM »