Author Topic: TERN & SUB  (Read 4005 times)

Cape Cod 13

• Vice Admiral
  • Cape Cod 13
TERN & SUB
« on: April 17, 2009, 08:51:28 AM »
I think she is from your area Phil. What a site with the Sub on her. C.C.13

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
  • Life is Good when cruising in the Caribbean
    • Seacruise - Panama Canal Cam and Schedule
Re: TERN & SUB
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Well Canada has only 4 subs. One of them had an accident a few years ago just after delivery. Not sure why they would be bringing it to the west coast though as most ship building yards are in New Brunswick or Quebec.

Phil

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »

rose

• Head Chef
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 02:28:50 PM »
from shipspotting.com

Tern with submarine Chicoutimi, outbound from Halifax, NS 2009-04-08.
ETA Panama Canal April 15
ETA Vancouver April 28

rose

• Head Chef
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 02:38:53 PM »
After being sold to Canada, the submarine Chicoutimi suffered an intake of water leading to an electrical fire on maiden voyage in heavy seas after being handed over in Scotland. One man died, 9 injured.

2009, Apr 1: Scheduled departure from Halifax dry-dock aboard heavy-lift ship
2009 Apr: 30-day voyage, presumably going through Panama Canal

May 09: arrive in Esquimalt on MV Tern
re-fit
2012: scheduled to return to service

Cape Cod 13

• Vice Admiral
  • Cape Cod 13
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 03:06:16 PM »
Thanks Rose, that was great information. That answer a lot of questions, thanks again, nice to get a reply to one of my post. C.C.13

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
  • Life is Good when cruising in the Caribbean
    • Seacruise - Panama Canal Cam and Schedule
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 12:44:55 AM »
After being sold to Canada, the submarine Chicoutimi suffered an intake of water leading to an electrical fire on maiden voyage in heavy seas after being handed over in Scotland. One man died, 9 injured.

2009, Apr 1: Scheduled departure from Halifax dry-dock aboard heavy-lift ship
2009 Apr: 30-day voyage, presumably going through Panama Canal

May 09: arrive in Esquimalt on MV Tern
re-fit
2012: scheduled to return to service
This surprises me because there is the engraving dock in Esquimalt that is used for refits of other vessels including cruise ships. The dry dock in Seattle can't handle the larger ships and the dry dock in Portland OR was sold to the Bahamas. I would think they would not have this in dry dock till 2012. Then again this is Canada so anything is possible, after all our Air Demonstration team the Snowbirds are still flying jets that are 40+ years old. In fact there are Grandchildren of Pilots in the CDN Forces that are flying those same jets that their Grand Fathers flew. 

Phil

rose

• Head Chef
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 06:50:52 AM »
http://www.dnd.ca/site/focus/chicoutimi/index_e.asp
from Canada's official Board of Enquiry site
HMCS Chicoutimi was the last of the four VICTORIA Class vessels delivered to the Canadian Navy. Commissioned on October 2, 2004 at Faslane, Scotland, she set sail two days later with a crew of 57 sailors for her new home port at CFB Halifax in Nova Scotia. After the incident, HMCS Chicoutimi was sealifted across the Atlantic by the Norwegian sealift vessel, M/V Eide Transporter, departing Faslane, Scotland on January 13, 2005 and arriving in Halifax harbour on February 1. She currently rests at the HMC Dockyard at Maritime Forces Atlantic, Halifax where repairs will be conducted as part of her Extended Docking Work Period (EDWP) in 2010. This will provide for the most efficient and cost-effective use of limited engineering, material, and financial resources. HMCS Chicoutimi is scheduled to return to operational status in 2012.

Cape Cod 13

• Vice Admiral
  • Cape Cod 13
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 07:23:51 AM »
Great pictures on the web site. Thanks ROSE. C.C.13

Cape Cod 13

• Vice Admiral
  • Cape Cod 13
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 10:24:51 AM »
Just found this picture, loading the sub on. C.C.13

GregR

• Yum Yum Boy
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 06:07:41 PM »
Great picture!  Very interesting series of pictures and story too.  Thanks to all of you for posting about it!

raytern

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 11:34:03 PM »
Tern & Sub arrive Victoria this week. Article follows from the west cost Canadian Navy newspaper the LOOKOUT

Chicoutimi in for refit

Mart Ellen Green
Staff Writer  CFB Esq Lookout

Bookmark and Share

After a month-long voyage through the Panama Canal on a heavy-lift ship, HMCS Chicoutimi will arrive in Esquimalt Harbour this week.

The diesel-electric submarine will undergo a 24-month extended docking work period (EDWP) by Victoria Shipyards Co. Ltd.

The Victoria In-Service Submarine Contract, otherwise known as VISSC, is expected to create up to 175 jobs over 15 years.

Cdr Christopher Earl, Submarine Class Manager for the Director General Maritime Equipment Program Management Submarine, said the arrival of Chicoutimi "will be significant for Victoria."
"One benefit of VISSC is the generation of a submarine maintenance centre of excellence," Cdr Earl said.

The initial five-year contract to refit and maintain the four Canadian submarines was awarded to the Canadian Submarine Management Group (CSMG) in June 2008, a joint venture company formed by Babcock Marine and Weir Canada Inc.

A number of extension options exist that could bring the total contract length to 15 years.

CSMG intends to sub-contract EDWP work to Victoria Shipyards of the Washington Marine Group. This work will be supported by BMT Fleet Technology, and by CSMG's head office in Ottawa.

"The big advantage of VISSC is that potentially all future Victoria Class submarine EDWPs will be conducted in one facility," Cdr Earl said.

After Chicoutimi arrives in Esquimalt harbour, it will be transferred from the heavy-lift ship to a temporary hard stand on the Public Works Government Services Canada jetty.

"CSMG and its subcontractor, Victoria Shipyards, will then continue limited maintenance until the EDWP starts in January 2010," Cdr Earl said.

The limited maintenance includes inspections and operability checks. "It's the sort of limited maintenance you would do if you had something in preservation for an extended period of time," Cdr Earl said.

After entering the EDWP the actual work will address three major areas. "The first is the normal third-level activity that we refer to as deep maintenance," Cdr Earl said. "All systems are maintained to ensure they will operate for five or six years after completion of the activity."

Secondly, Chicoutimi will undergo modifications (known previously as the Canadianization work period to modify some systems to meet Canadian requirements and allow interoperability with Canadian allies.

Finally, Chicoutimi will undergo fire damage repair as result of a fire that she had in October 2004 that claimed the life of Lt(N) Chris Saunders.

Chicoutimi is expected to be back in the water by mid-2011, six months before the end of the EDWP, when it will undergo set-to-work activities and harbour acceptance trials. Chicoutimi is scheduled to rejoin the operational fleet in 2012.

frank m

• Vice Admiral
  • Go Gophers
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 12:14:55 AM »
Further info...

Cape Cod 13

• Vice Admiral
  • Cape Cod 13
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 11:05:27 AM »
Well it looks like we missed her when she transited the canal. Frank was right with his last post on the Tern. (OF COURSE.)  I don't know how we missed her. Well at least we saw her on her way to Halifax. I really wanted to see pictures of her in the locks again. She will be home 15:00p.m. today if this web site is right.         http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=306029000&language=_EN :doh: thumbdn C.C.13

Cape Cod 13

• Vice Admiral
  • Cape Cod 13
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 05:47:08 PM »
I almost missed her coming in. I had to leave  my computer to cook dinner, and when I came back I caught the last shot of her in the cam. Wish I could have seen the other pictures. C.C.13

Cape Cod 13

• Vice Admiral
  • Cape Cod 13
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 08:18:51 AM »
Went to the web cam this morning and figured out how to download pictures from yesterday. Only found two. C.C.13

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 08:18:51 AM »