Author Topic: Changes to the board  (Read 11555 times)

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
  • Life is Good when cruising in the Caribbean
    • Seacruise - Panama Canal Cam and Schedule
Re: Changes to the board
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »
Yesterday afternoon I was made aware that there was a Security hole in the forum from SMF.

I upgraded the forum this morning to fix this security hole along with a few other small bugs.

If you notice anything different please let me know.

Thank you

Phil

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 12:21:34 PM »
I have recently updated the size output of some of the Princess cams.

Today I updated Tahitian Princess to the larger size but remember if you try and same it it saves to the original size.

Phil

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 12:21:34 PM »

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 10:12:23 AM »
I received a notice yesterday saying the uploader was full again some 29 days after I added a major amount of space to it. The adding of the space on May 1st was thought to keep us okay till August. I was wrong.

Almost all other forums have you place anything you post on photobucket or other such sites away from the forums for this reason. I have felt different about this because we have server space that goes unused and it makes our forums more user friendly.

I have noticed a trend to add little cute gif's to the bottom of posts. The size of some of these gif's are reaching the size of photos being posted, so in effect we are having 2 photos posted where there is only one photo or a photo being posted when it is only a reply. I have no problem you using a gif at the bottom if it is connected to a photobucket site or other such site. I do have a problem though if you link to another site that does not allow the use of the gif on another site. Generally these sites have a copyright on the gif's

In coming days I will be removing some of these gif's from posts and you will be seeing a edit my myself or one of the moderators so we can add space back to the server.

I hope you understand but at this rate we will not have any space for canal shots next season.

Phil
Admin

Phyllis

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
http://www.photobucket.com/

I'll help any way I can if anyone has questions.  Photobucket is free.

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Changes to the board/schedule
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 01:30:07 AM »
Hi All:

We have a busy month coming up. The only problem will be is how long the Canal cams stay up and running. Yes The Hi Res Canal Cam is still down and no idea when it will be back up and able to be viewed.
Please remember that  have no control over the Panama Canal cams and I use their feed with permission from the Authority.

I have removed the October schedule and removed the Marco Polo from November 27th. This was due to Transocean cruises changing her schedule completely. The information available says something about the ship being sold to a new company and the charter being changed. The Marco Polo will now be in dry dock getting painted and reappearing January 2nd 2010.
I also moved Maasdam GL from Nov 16 to Nov 15.

I am currently working on a few additions of Le Levant transits but the schedule's I have is a bit confusing.

Thank you for viewing the Panama Canal Schedule cams

Phil

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 12:55:50 PM »
There was a security update last night which I apllied to the forums. The problem is the update has a bug in it (as can be seen by looking at my sig file) and while they thought it had been fixed in a further update two later it has not solved it in all cases. They are currenlt working on it.

The bug can cause problems to Image links posted outside the forums. tHis may include Photobucket or the likes.

I am aware of the problem and awaiting a fix.

Phil
Admin

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2010, 06:32:26 PM »
Looking around you will notice with today's update I changed the size of the output of the cams to 640 x 480 for P&O. The Princess cams are slightly smaller because they get washed out to easy at the larger size. If the P&O ones ended getting washed out I will lower them to the size of the Princess cams.

Phil

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
Photo size and limits and Posting
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 02:33:45 PM »
I have heard over the last couple of months about a common problem Seacruise has had from time to time.

The server that Seacruise uses limits us to 3 GB of server space with the current package we have. In this 3 GB's of space it is allocated to many things. It is allocated to email accounts, web space for the main page (which includes an archive of old Great Group Cruises). Then there is the forum, the forum is made up of SQL Data Base (there is also an automatic backup built into this, so it is double) and then the attachment folder.
There is another component that is in our plan and that includes "secure server" or https: This more or less doubles our space.
There is different other things such as the control panel (used to make changes on the server) that takes up space.
So in all this I have to allocate space the best way I can without running out of space period. Currently we are using about half our space.
It becomes a fine line of trying to figure out what the magic numbers are so one day I don't wake up and find that we are totally out of space. 

I would like to point out that almost all other forums do not allow the posting of photos on the forums server. This is done to preserve space for the forum. When the Seacruise forum was started I wanted to make it as easy as possible for you to post. I know not everyone knows how to use Photobucket or other such sites and then post the link back on the Seacruise Forum.

Back in September I did make a small change by lowering the photo size from 110 kb per 1 photo to 90 kb. I did post post this change but the overall limit per post of 180 kb remained unchanged. If one posts 9 photos at the 110 kb limit that is almost 1 meg of space. It does not take long to use up the space we have allocated to attachments.
So right now there is 570 megs allocated to attachments. There is currently 156 megs as of today left for these attachments.

So here is what happens when we start to run out of space. When you go and try to post a photo you receive a message saying file too large please re-size or something like this. You look at the file size and try to re-submit it knowing it meets the size limits and receive the message again. Lets put it this way the limit is 90 kb for one photo and you are posting a photo of 50 kb and it would normally be posted. Now if the amount of space on the server is 40 kb your photo is now too large despite the limit of 90 kb. This is a indication the up-loader folder is full. After a few attempts you are frustrated and I understand this.
Please send myself or Chris a message and we can look into it.

We have suggested that those that can use Photobucket, please do. This has helped us big time. I Thank you for this.

Chris and I have discussed this problem to death. We are looking into a permanent solution to address this problem such as going to an unlimited space server. The current server we have used for 10+ years doesn't offer this and it would mean a move to a whole new server. This takes time to set-up and then move from one server to another. The big problem is uploading this amount of data. It would take days to do.

We did not want to try and do this when the problem really surfaced in late January. The best time is July when the forums are not used by much.

I hope you understand the problem. We are certainly not trying to upset you in any way. It has been the goal on Seacruise since day one to make it as easy as we can for you take part on the forum.

Hope this helps explain the problem.

Phil

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 09:20:29 PM »
Well today we finally bit the bullet and upgraded the Forum to SMF 2.01. This new version was released back in June and we wanted to make sure that most bugs were worked out prior to installing.

You will notice many changes to the set-up of the forums. I know that for the Admin's there are many changes which I have yet to understand.

I will also be opening registrations again.

I hope this helps.

Phil

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 10:11:09 PM »
I have just gone through the Members and deleted anyone who has registered or not logged on in over 1200 days.

I have also made changes to two members as they have had Gmail email address's. I changed your email address to youremail@seacrusiechat.com this was done because the spammers have been hitting us hard with Gmail address's so I plan on banning them. If you have any problem please contact me right away.

Hope this helps,

Phil

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 10:11:09 PM »