Author Topic: Future Port for Alaska cruises?  (Read 1233 times)

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
  • Life is Good when cruising in the Caribbean
    • Seacruise - Panama Canal Cam and Schedule
Future Port for Alaska cruises?
« on: March 19, 2009, 07:25:15 PM »
Victoria is currently being used as a short stop for Alaska cruises. It is being reported that quietly behind the scene the Port of Victoria has been working behind the scenes to become the home port for future cruises to Alaska.

New ships such as Carnival Splendor, Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas and Celebrity Solstice can not stop in Vancouver because they can not fit under the Lions Gate Bridge. Further I know at this point that they can not also go through Seymour Narrows as the power lines are not high enough. I know they were lifted a few years back when Radiance of the Seas came along.

The Port of Victoria admits that there are currently no plans to bring larger ships to Alaska.

I may suggest that once the Panama Canal finishes it's expansion in 2014 that we could see these larger ships then. I would  like to suggest that before this happens Alaska will decide on ship size before it happens. Some ports such as Juneau and Skagway admit that if there was ever a disaster they could not handle it.

Will be interesting to see how tis plays out

Phil

Seacruise Forums

Future Port for Alaska cruises?
« on: March 19, 2009, 07:25:15 PM »