Author Topic: Container ship crashes into Mule  (Read 773 times)

Phil

• Administrator
  • Vice Admiral
  • Life is Good when cruising in the Caribbean
    • Seacruise - Panama Canal Cam and Schedule
Container ship crashes into Mule
« on: November 23, 2015, 05:02:46 PM »
Yep, you never want this to happen when a cruise ship is beside you in the locks. Someone will post it.

https://youtu.be/ALVF3BlZV8I

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
Re: Container ship crashes into Mule
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 07:53:26 PM »
And the paint didn't match...Aren't the pilot and mules supposed to prevent that?  CJ

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 07:53:26 PM »

BillB48

• Yum Yum Boy
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 05:59:20 AM »
And the paint didn't match...Aren't the pilot and mules supposed to prevent that?  CJ

In a perfect world the pilot is supposed to prevent hard contact with the lock walls that don't have fendering, (even then you can't land too hard ;)) but the last person to prevent the ship from striking the mule was the operator of the mule.  The operators are permitted to take any action necessary even contrary to the pilot's orders to prevent the ship from striking the mule.  Looking at the video the No. 1 center wall mule was in danger of being struck as well, however the operator moved forward out of harms way. The assaulted mule could have moved aft to avoid the strike.

I am at a loss as to why the bow started swinging towards the center wall when it did.  Up until then it looked like a very good approach, speed was not an issue and from what I could tell wires were going aboard for the sidewall machines.  Maybe the pilot got a wrong rudder response... just dunno??

Back in the day, pilots who nailed a mule during a transit were dubbed muleskinners!! ;D  As you might guess, not a title they were proud of and tried to live it down!!!

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 05:59:20 AM »