Author Topic: Carnival Fascination to Bahamas Oct. 8-12 2017  (Read 59 times)

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
Carnival Fascination to Bahamas Oct. 8-12 2017
« on: October 08, 2017, 10:07:12 PM »
Fascination Fling
Carnival Fascination Bahamas Oct. 8 - 12, 2017

8 Oct 2017.  Cocoa Beach  FL.   It looks to be a beautiful day.  AIS tells me that Fascination is just ourside the channel to Port Canaveral, having made a leisurely journey down from Jacksonville. 
     We left Hinesville shortly before 10am, made our way along the back roads to I-95.  Traffic was relatively light.  We made a stop in St. Augustine at the ourlet malls to visit the Fossil outlet.  I had a watch that needed a battery.  It has a leather strap that goes completely under the back of the watch, and every time I have taken it to a jeweler to have the battery changed, they can't get the back back on it/them.  So we only take them to an outlet now.  Anyway, another two hours and we were in Cocoa Beach, looking for our hotel.
     Cocoa Beach is Florida 40 years ago.  Yes, there are some big hotels, but there are also a lot of one storey homes, and a Trailer Ranch...  Lots of fast food and other places with character.  The Fawlty Towers Hotel, and the headquarters of Ron Jon Surf shops.  We checked in, and they had a room ready.  We asked for restaurant recommendations and got a multi-page list.  Problem was, they didn't give a description of each, whether they were sit-down places, or just takeout.  We chose a grill place, not too far up the road, and had a satisfactory meal.  The place had character. 
  We left there and instead of turning right to go back to the highway, I went left because I wanted to see if there was any evidence of where the Cocoa Beach Pier is.  The place we went when Stephen, Alan, and Jean were here.  Well, it was right there.  Had I known where it was, we would have gone there to eat.  Should have asked.  So we parked and walked the pier.  Weather was great, many people on the beach, but not crowded.  Even saw a wedding party.  Left there, came back to the hotel and watched baseball. 
     Soon, we will go down and explore the complimentary breakfast.

Later.  We left the hotel about 1030, drove to the port.  Lots of cars in the parking garage. we are on the second level.  Paid my $40.  We gathered our bags and headed for the terminal.  There was a short wait to check in, but still, we were in our cabin by 1115.  Quickly moved the bed around, and met our cabin steward, I Putu.  We unpacked and then headed up to the Lido buffet, because we wanted something to drink.  Mary got iced tea, I got lemonade.  We succumbed to salad, and I had some grilled fish.  We got separated in the buffet, so I finished and went exploring.  Walked around the dining room and found the table that might be ours.  Not all of the tables had numbers.  It's a large table, which is good.  I went up to Camp Ocean and picked up a copy of the kids program for the 9-11 group. 
     Coming back to the cabin, I met Mary, who was disgusted with herself because she had left her Kindle on the table in the buffet.  She was going back up to look for it.  She didn't find it, so went back out with her ipad to find reception to download the books she wanted into the Kindle app.  I'm pretty sure it will make its way to Guest Services and Lost & Found, but right now the lines are very long. 
     Our muster station was in the Puttin' on the Ritz lounge, and then they led us up to the lifeboats.   Now back in the cabin waiting for supper.  Watching football on TV.  No baseball.  I don't think there is a sports bar on this ship. 
Later.  An interesting evening.  We have a table for 10, again as on the last cruise, set for 11.  Eight people showed.  Maybe we will have more tomorrow.  One lady is very old.  All ladies.  Menu was familiar.  We sailed two hours late, reason being a medivac.  After the muster drill, there was a Medical Team alert to deck 9 aft.  From one of our tablemates, a lady fell in Serenity area, might have a broken leg.  They took her off.  Always bad when you have to evac someone before you even leave port.
     After dinner, we wandered through the Pixels Gallery and I purchased the embarkation picture.  We then cruised the shops  before settling in the lobby, listening to the steel drum performer, until it was time for the piano bar to start up.  Martin is the performer here, different from the other two.  I guess each has his own schtick.  He was okay.  We will be back.  There is a little bit of motion, telling us we are at sea. 

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
Re: Carnival Fascination to Bahamas Oct. 8-12 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 10:13:46 PM »
9 Oct. 2017.  At Sea.  As usual, I was up early.  Went up to breakfast in the Lido, not busy at all.  Guess everyone else was sleeping in.  It was towel animal morning, but a lot were gone as loungers were being occupied.  After breakfast I stopped at Guest Services and retrieved Mary's Kindle, which had been turned in.  I had to sign for it.  I returned it to the cabin, but she was still asleep.  Back out, I sat in on the Morning Show, where Marcello introduced the shopping guy, the EFFY lady, the Acupuncture lady, and the comedian/juggler.  I was hoping they would introduce John Heald, but he was not there.  I came back to the cabin, and Mary was getting ready to go out.  And it was time for my first nap of the day.
     Nap over, Mary was back for her first nap, and I went up to the buffet for a snack, hot dog and fries.  I sat chatting in the buffet with a woman who sat at my table, unti it was time to go to a Q&A session with John Heald.  It was entertaining/amusing.  He wandered in and stopped at a lady near us who was reading a paperback.  Asked her what she was reading, picked the book out of her hands, read the title and back cover, and then read some of the text on the page whe was on, ending with a description of a British bloke...I quickly stuffed my crocheting out of sight, as I didn't want it to attract questions, as this trip I didn't bring a sample finished potholder. 
     I don't remember what all of the questions were, but he did say that after this cruise, Fascination will take two days to meander down to San Juan and resume sailing from there.  We came back to the cabin and rested for an hour or so untio time to shower and dress for Elegant Night.  We had the same seven people at our table.  The meal was good.  Mary had the strawberry bisque appetizer as dessert.  The asparagus soup was very good. 
     After dinner, we were in time to view the introduction of the officers in the atrium, and then went to the show, Divas.  I am a little puzzled that although we had seen this show recently on one of this years cruises, I did not recognize the costumes or most of the music.  Strange.  After the show, we wandered through the jewelry shop and on to the piano bar, where we stayed until he took a break at 2200.  Had real drinks, my frozen strawberry margarita, and Mary her Bloody Mary.  No place we wanted to go after that, so back to the cabin to write this up, and make a relatively early night of it - before midnight.  Nassau tomorrow.

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 10:13:46 PM »

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 10:20:21 PM »
10 Oct. 2017.  Nassau.  We were docked on time, and in the best parking space - right next to the terminal.  We weren't in any hurry to get off, just shopping today.  We went up to breakfast, then back to the cabin to gather our bags.  Putu was in the midst of cleaning, but gave us time to get our stuff.  We went down the wrong stairs, although it did say 'gangway', and ended up leaving by the crew gangway.  Midship.  The one we were supposed to use was all the way forward.  Wonder if they feel we all need the exercise, using the gangway furthest from the port entrance?
     We walked down the street by the dock area, investigating silver shops, before we went back to Bay Street and found EFFY.  Well, we had the ladies with us, and were recognized.  We scrutinized everything, and I ended up buying two rings in silver for a very good negotiated price.  It pays to be recognized and repeat customers.  I left them to be sized and we wandered back down the street, stoping in other shops, until we reached the other EFFY store.  Well, this time it was Mary's turn to drop some money.  A lot more than I spent.  The also recognized us and the ladies.  Essie and Lizzie even got a beer - which they couldn't finish.  We didn't help them, as we don't care for beer.  Even free beer. 
    We headed back to pick up my rings, and then for the Bearded Clam where we had cokes and loaded fries.  Then it was stop in a few more shops and back to the ship.  I did buy a Pandora charm for my bracelet, one of a cruise ship.  Didn't find any representative of the Bahamas, but will see what I might find tomorrow in Freeport. 
     We had two new people at out table tonight, and two others missing.  Meal was good, the veal parmigiana night, and gazpacho.  We left and went up to the shops, but there was a program going on about the EFFY stuff, and a real crowd.  I had removed Essie's ankle bracelet, and stopped at the Inch of Gold display and bought her three more ankle bracelets.  She originally had two, but the silver tone one tarnished badly.  So now, she has another yellow gold tone, one in silver tone, and one in rose gold tone.  She is blissfully happy.  Mary bought Lizzie a chain to put charms/pendants on. 
     While we were paying for out purchases, I could feel the ship rolling a bit, and we were all the way forward, outside the theater.  I decided I needed to go sit, so we headed for the piano bar, which was empty, as it was the night off for the piano guy.  We sat there for an hour or so, but I finally called it quite=s and we came back to the cabin and put on our sea bands.  I actually felt better just getting down lower in the ship, even though we were only three decks up.  Feelig much bettr now, or I wouldn't be on my computer. 
     Freeport tomorrow, not as much there but we will still shop. 

Carolyn Jane

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:20:39 PM »
11 Oct. 2017.  Freeport.  It's a lovely day.  Not too hot, and there is a breeze.  We didn't leave our cabin until 0930, went up to the Lido for breakfast.  Then out on deck to check on Conquest and Celestyal Crystal in drydock.  Crystal has been there a long time, since Elation was there.  I would wonder if she is in limbo, but there must be a waiting list for that drydock space...
     We left the ship by the forward gangway, a long walk as we are way aft, but convenient for the entrance to the straw market.  We ambled around, visiting any stall that looked interesting.  Mary bought a tank top and visor for daughter Erin, and we bought some pottery jewelry boxes for Erin and a friend, and a green frog the hang on the wayy.  We have been buying lizards/geckos, but I though we needed a frow, as we have green tree frogs that like our back door panes, and sometimes a window, when we have the light on in the kitchen attracting bugs.  And they make a lot of noise when it rains.  I even have one sometimes on my front second floor window in front of the computer.  Too bad he can't get in between my sindow and sreen, and eat all of the little spiders tha take up residence there.  Sometimes they even have turf wars...  Free entertainment. 
     Wwe stopped at Fat Tuesdays and had cokes and rested in the shade.  Then came back to the ship.  We have mostly packed, and Mary has gond back out to get a sleep shirt she saw.  Doubtless she wil have some other stuff when she returns.  I am considering a trip up to the Lido for ice cream. 

Later.  Dinner was one of the better menus.  After dinner, we went to the show, Motor City.  Again, we had seen it before, but they did it differently.  Afterward we browsed the shops, and Mary bought a coverup/nightgown.  I spent $7 on a bracelet for Essie.  Then we went to the piano bar where I had another margarita, and Mary had a Bloody Mary.  For some reason, the waiter comped the drinks, so I am coming out with leftover OBC.  Wow.  We came back to the cabin and finished packing.  Early day tomorrow.  Again, I am not feeling well.  Must be a little motion.

Seacruise Forums

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:20:39 PM »